Friday, March 12, 2010

The show I once loved. American Idol.

Last season I did quite a few reviews of American Idol episodes, and watched pretty much every single episode. For the past few years I've wondered why I even bothered, until finally someone would catch my eye in the top twelve, and I would have at least one person to support. I don't see that happening this season. As a matter of fact, I won't be watching anymore. I'm not even giving this pathetic season a chance.


When Tim Urban went through to the top twelve, I was at a loss for words. The dude is horrible...I don't understand who's voting for him. Then, when both Todrick and Lilly--both great singers, and Alex--not so great in my opinion, but definitely a crowd favorite--all were sent home, I got to thinking about how there are only two possibilities for such bullshit. Either there are only twelve year old girls voting these days, or the producers are intentionally sabotaging the show to prepare for it's inevitable cancellation when Simon is gone.


Both scenarios seem possible. I've been watching since the first season, which would've made me about 13 or 14. While I've watched pretty much every season, I've only voted a handful of times. The point is, it's a show I grew up with during my teenage years, which is probably the only reason I would watch it at my age. I realized, I've outgrown it. However, there are new teens watching it for the first time, while their hormones are running rampant. Thus, we end up with Tim Urban in the top twelve.


Then there's the fact that Simon will not return after this season. We can think what we want about why this show is successful, but I believe we'll soon realize that HE is the reason. I don't see this show lasting beyond next season, when the producers realize what losing him has cost the show. Which brings me to the second scenario. Do they already realize? And are they messing with the results to infuriate people to the point that they stop watching, making the cancellation less of a deal? We know the show is not one hundred percent authentic. Anyone who honestly believes that is naive.


I've always had a favorite. Every single season. Sometimes my favorites won, sometimes they didn't. My reaction to the winners varied drastically.


Kelly Clarkson--When Kelly won, I was ecstatic. She was my favorite from the beginning, and at the time, I knew she would sing the kind of music I enjoyed. (At the time. I no longer like her style of music, but that isn't of importance.)


Ruben Studdard--I liked Ruben. I also liked Clay Aiken. However, this season was ruined for me when Kimberely Caldwell was sent home, because she was my favorite by far. However, being season 2, I stuck with it, chose a new favorite, and continued to watch. That favorite became Ruben. He was like a big teddy bear. Did I vote? No. I never voted back then. Ever. But when Ruben actually won, I was in disbelief. I still to this day believe Clay lost because the producers didn't want a gay man to win. (Oh come on, just because he didn't come out of the closet for many years later, doesn't mean we didn't already know he was gay.)


Fantasia--Eh. She was an okay singer. At the time, I preferred her over Diana Degarmo, so ultimately, I was pleased with her winning. But she didn't deserve to win that season. I think it goes without saying Jennifer Hudson did. The girl only made it to the top six, and look at her success. At the same time, would that success be the same, had she won? Doubtful. Maybe this was for the best.


Carrie Underwood--My reaction to Carry winning was, well, DUH! This season was hers from the moment America saw her audition. She was destined to be where she is today, and is by far the best thing that has ever come out of American Idol.


Taylor Hicks--Where is he? Have you heard of him since he won? I heard he's doing Broadway, though I can't be sure. To be completely honest, I don't care enough to Google him. This season was Chris Daughtry's season. I still believe his elimination was a stunt from the producers. His following was just too large for him to only make it to fourth place. I refuse to believe it. Look at him now.


Jordin Sparks--I actually managed to miss more of this season than any other. All I honestly remember is Jordin Sparks winning, the runner up being good at beat boxing, and the ridiculousness that was Sanjaya. From what I remember, Jordin deserved to win.


David Cook--I was surprised when he won, because I honestly didn't expect it. However, the surprise was a pleasant one. I really liked him, and he's a rocker, so he's my kind of guy.

Kris Allen--My thought, BULLSHIT!!! First let me say, I did not like Adam Lambert. Anyone who read this blog back then knows I was a Matt Giraud fan, through and through. I did not want Adam to win. However, his following was HUGE. His fans were every-fucking-where. They're STILL everywhere. Ohhh but he's gay....so of course he didn't win. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I honestly believe the folks behind the cameras over at Idol are serious homophobes. I say, RIGGGED!

And that brings us to this craptastic season. Who will win? Who fucking knows. Not a single one of them would've made it to the top twelve a few years ago. Not a single one of them are good enough to win American Idol. Michael Lynch and Siobhan Magnus are the only hope for this season, and even they don't scream "star" to me. (Ya know, like Carrie did. During the PREVIEWS for that season. I didn't even need to see the actual show to know she would be my favorite.)  Idol's on it's last leg, I'm just waiting for it to come tumbling down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment